The Northampton Concert Orchestra was first formed in 1903 as the Primrose Hill String Band to accompany church services in the newly built Primrose Hill Congregational Church in Kingsthorpe Hollow. When the church had a new organ built in 1912 its function as a band was no longer required. To continue, it expanded, addedother instruments and became known as the Primrose Hill Orchestra. It continued to rehearse at the church and widened its fund-raising.
During the first-world-war it raised money for ‘Soldiers Comforts’. Included in the participants at that time was a young Edmund Rubbra who was to go on to become one of the most prolific and respected UK composers of the 20th century. During the second-world-war, the orchestra raised money for costs related to ‘Spitfires’.
After some years it changed its name to the Northampton Light Orchestra, reflecting the culture of the 50's and 60's, to give many concerts of light music to help raise funds for a number of worthy causes.